Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Losing My Edge, or why James Murphy will always be cooler than most of us.


I understand that this is a similar post to what other music bloggers posted back in July of 2002, but I think this still serves as a great jumping point to so many under-appreciated artists.


One of my favorite tracks from the last decade is "Losing My Edge" by LCD Soundsystem (James Murphy). If you haven't heard it, stop reading my blog, click on this link to read along with the lyrics and then click here to listen to the track. Now since you're familiar with the track you might wonder why I think it's so great since Murphy can't sing to save his life and he sounds like he needs to blow his nose. But it's not about his voice, it's about what he's saying. Not only is there great humor in the song, but Murphy flexes his music snob muscle with this track, ascribing a certain level of music knowledge to the encroaching mass of DJ's that are "coming up from behind". I feel like I have a pretty decent knowledge of music and a quality music library, but the name-dropping list that Murphy throws out in this song forces music-snobs like myself to admit that we don't know as much as we think we do. I thought it would be fun to post some of the references from this track. I'm sure that some will be familiar, but I'm almost certain that few people are familiar with all the names he drops. 


01. Can - “Moonshake”

02. Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Sure 'Nuff 'N Yes I Do”

03. Daft Punk - “Da Funk”

04. Larry Levan - "Bodyshine" (Remix)

05. Modern Lovers - “Roadrunner”

06. Yazoo - “Don't Go” + “Mr. Blue”

07. Black Dice - “Things Will Never Be The Same”

08. A-Ha - “The Living Daylights”

09. Pere Ubu - “Final Solution”

10. Bar-Kays - “Holy Ghost” (12" rip courtesy of Dollar Bin Jams)

11. Afrika Bambaataa & The Soulsonic Force - “Planet Rock”

12. Gil Scott-Heron - “The Revolution Will Not Be Televised”


(to be continued!)

No comments: